Friday, August 14, 2009

It's Art Day!


Did you know that today is Art Day? I didn’t know until someone posted it to Twitter. This makes me happy. Everyday is art day at my studio! But some people don’t get any art in their lives so I think having Art Day is very important, especially for the kiddies.

Artists for A Better World International member, Becky Mate, is the founder of an international holiday for artists of all disciplines called Art Day, which falls annually on the second Friday in August. Since 1998, she has let people around the world know that such a holiday exists.

“Art Day is the perfect time to celebrate creativity and bring joy to others: draw a picture, compose a song, write a poem or story, paint, have a party! In short, Art Day is about bringing a smile to others and forwarding the concept of creating a better world though aesthetics.”

I like that last part: “creating a better world though aesthetics”. I think aesthetics are under appreciated. Much can and has been said about having beauty around us and how that affects us psychologically and physiologically. I know for me personally, if I don’t have stimulating art or soothing images in my house, I get cranky. Also, I get cranky being in places that have aesthetics that displease me. The run down parts of where I live bother me not just aesthetically because these aesthetics bring to mind thoughts of poverty and suffering. That’s why I am a huge fan of public art projects in the parts of town that could use some improved aesthetics. It really can change things, get people involved in their community when they might otherwise have not been involved, and it lets visitors know we care about our city.

I do really believe we can create a better world through aesthetics. Art Day is a good start! Now I’m off to make some art!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Without your comments, I'm just talking to myself! Say something before they come to take me away. Ha ha, ho ho, hee hee.

ShareThis